Keep your lights out of reach of elk and deer
Living in Banff means taking extra care to protect animals.
Wildlife naturally forage around trees, and Christmas lights can become tangled in antlers. That could lead to a panicked animal, injury and a dangerous situation.
- Consider cord-free outdoor decorations.
- Do not hang strings of lights on trees or across open spaces.
- Keep lights at least 3 metres off the ground.
- Put lights on a timer to limit disturbances to nocturnal wildlife.
- When the season ends, take down decorations as soon as possible.
This year, show you care about Banff wildlife by keeping Christmas lights out of reach.