Library of Things
Based on significant interest expressed in a survey of residents conducted by the Town of Banff, the Town and the Banff Public Library are developing an equipment lending library for Banff residents. Participants will be able to borrow items that may be rarely used, hard to store, or are expensive. The program could be launched this year, depending on interest, funding and approval for safe operations during a pandemic.
The short-term loans of shared items could include:
- woodworking tools
- maintenance equipment
- automotive tools
- hobby or recreation items
- household items
- sports equipment (items not accessible from local rental businesses)
This library of things should also help reduce community-wide waste and consumption, and contribute to social inclusion, accessibility, and affordability for members of the community.
The initiative could be complemented by additional community programming such as training workshops, repair/fix-it sessions, community events (sewing tutorials, vehicle maintenance workshops) and more.
Donation Wish List:
- Hand tools - screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, wrenches etc.
- Power saws - mitre, table, jigsaw, etc.
- Power drill and drill bits
- Extension Cords
- Levels small or large
- Rafter and carpenter squares
- C, F, Spring Clamps
- Stud Finder
- Hand saws
- Utility knives
- Spackling knives
- Wire Cutters
- Car Jack
- Caulking Gun
- Ratchet straps/moving straps
- Gardening supplies
- Bike repair/maintenance supplies - bike pump etc.
- Angle grinder
- Soldering kit
- Socket set
- Various specialty kitchen items - pasta maker, standing mixer, dehydrator, vacuum seal, juicer, cake pans
- Rakes, shovels, snow shovels
- Plumbing equipment
- Landscaping equipment - power tools by electricity/battery only, no gas powered
Items that cannot be donated:
- Sports equipment with safety features such as climbing gear and mountain sports equipment
- child and infant safety equipment (strollers, carseats etc.)
- Items that can be accessed through local rental stores as these items will not be available to borrow from the library.
- Ski and snowboarding gear
- Backpacking and camping equipment
Donation Acceptance Guidelines:
- Items must fall under one of our wish list categories
- Gas powered tools or items containing hazardous waste will not be accepted
- Item must work, be repairable or have parts that could be used for future repairs
- Items must not be modified or missing key components (safety features, attachments)
- Items must be cleaned and free of dirt/grime or cleaning agents
- Donors must be able to unload and carry item to the drop off point
Please email Kinsey.firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding items that you would like to donate.