Water Meter Replacement
Approximately 1,200 homes in the Town of Banff will have their water meters replaced in 2023/2024 by Neptune Technology Group.
So far, approximately 80% of water meters have been replaced. Neptune Technology Group will be in town in April 2024 to replace the remaining meters. This change mandatory and done at no cost to the homeowner if you schedule an appointment below.
If you do not schedule an appointment for a water meter replacement by April 2, you will be required to pay the full cost of purchasing and installing the new water meter, and the full surcharge for the monthly meter inspection by Town staff.
Water supply will be shut off to properties that have not shifted to the new meters by June 1 due to the inability of the Town to service the outdated devices.
The new meters come with several advantages over the outdated and outgoing models including remote-read capability and no moving parts.
Here is what you need to know:
- Banff residents will receive a notice from Neptune Technology Group to have their meter replaced. (Replacement is not optional)
- You can schedule a time to have your meter replaced
- Water service will be disrupted for approximately 30-90 minutes during the installation process. No other water service interruptions are currently expected
- New meters can be read remotely without entering private property
- Newer technology and no moving parts will result in less water meter failures and earlier detection of water leaks
Questions? Contact Watertesting@banff.ca
Book your replacement
- BOOK ONLINE at watermeterappt.com. Start online by entering your reference number, which is located on the notice you received with your address details. Instantly view available appointments and book your preferred time slot.
- Or CALL 1-800-667-4387. Call Centre hours are Monday to Thursday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
- Why are we replacing the water meters?
As part of our commitment to environmental sustainability and municipal efficiency, the Town of Banff plans to replace the existing, outdated water meters with a newer, more efficient model.
- What makes the new meters 'better'?
The new water meters contain zero moving parts, which will reduce costs for on-site maintenance. The new meters will also help our water services crews quickly detect water leaks on the property or adjoining water line which will reduce water waste and prevent tenants from paying for water they don’t use. Lastly, the meters can be scanned remotely from service vehicles, resulting in less intrusion into private property.
- Do I need to have my meter replaced?
If you have received a notice in the mail, you must schedule to have your water meter replaced. Residents who do not schedule a time to have their meter changed will be subject to a fine and a possible disconnection from water services.
- Do I have to pay for the meter replacement?
No. The costs to replace the water meter will be covered by the Town of Banff if you schedule an appointment. If you do not schedule at appointment, you will be subject to a fee for the replacement.
- Where can I schedule to have my meter replaced?
A notice containing details on the replacement program and information on how to book an appointment was sent out at the beginning of August.
- How long will the replacement take?
Individual meters will take 30- to replace.
- Can I access water services during the replacement?
Your home water service will be unavailable during the 30–90-minute installation process. No other water service disruptions are expected currently.
- Will other services be disrupted during the replacement process?
No other services will be disrupted.