Recycling and Garbage
The Town of Banff strives to be a model environmental community, and we recognize that being a municipality inside a national park comes with great responsibility.
Right now, our waste diversion rate is 46% (not including construction, renovation, and demolition waste or biosolids). By recovering as much material for recycling and composting as possible, we can reduce our dependence on landfills which take up valuable space and produce harmful greenhouse gases.
Moving towards zero waste has been identified as one of the many ways we can practice environmental stewardship. As such, the Town of Banff has set a waste diversion target of 70% by 2028 and has ambitious goals to reduce waste wherever possible.
The registration point for the Transfer Site is at a kiosk on the drop-off yard's access road. The Transfer Site is open seven days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. except public holidays. The last load is accepted at 3:15 p.m. Drop-offs are free for residents, excluding construction waste. Fees will apply for non-residential and out-of-town deliveries. Transfer Site Rates are available in the Non-Residential Waste Bylaw (PDF)
Note: The Transfer Site will be closed to the public Wednesday, September 29, 2021, from 12:30pm-2:30pm.
Recycling and Garbage:
- Residential Garbage and Recycling – Learn what you can recycling and what is waste. Find locations of recycling and food bins.
- Non-Residential Recycling and Garbage – For businesses, institutions and non-profit organizations, learn how you can recycling and divert waste from the landfill.
- Annual Recycling Round Up – Drop off hazardous waste, electronics, propane canisters and more at this annual downtown event.
- Large Item Pickup – A free service offered by the Town of Banff for residents. We'll pick up large items like furniture and appliances from the curb by your home.
- Waste Reduction Tips – Find out how you can reduce the amount of waste you produce with these helpful tips.
- Re-Use It Centre – Pick up or drop off gently used household items for free.
- Index of Waste Items – Check the list of common waste items to see where to recycling them or if they have to go in the garbage.