Large Item Pickup
Help us keep Banff’s streets garbage free
Don’t illegally dump large items by a garbage bin or on the street. There are free, legal ways for residents to get rid of unwanted items that don’t fit in garbage bins, like furniture or appliances. This service is for residents. Commercial properties and out-of-town visitors are not eligible.
Schedule a Free Pickup Online
You can schedule a free pickup of unwanted large items online. Questions? Call 403.762.1240.
Do not leave items by bins. Place your item by the curb or back alley only when your item is scheduled to be picked up.
Only items listed below will be picked up:
- Appliances – fridges/freezers (emptied and cleaned also ensuring coolant system isn’t damaged), stoves and dishwashers (cleaned so they are not an animal attractant)
- Furniture and lawn furniture
- Mattress and box springs
- Bikes (wheels removed and separated)
- BBQ’s – no tanks
- Small appliances – lawn mowers, snowblowers, pressure washers, etc.
- Yard Waste
- Grass clippings, leaves, plants
- MUST BE IN A CLEAR BAG – will not pick up otherwise.
- No more than 20 bags
- no more than 4 inches thick
- must be bundled and tied together
- No more than one truck load
Items we cannot pick up:
- Shipping pallets
- Scrap wood
- Propane tanks
- Commercial waste
- Hazardous waste
- Automotive parts/batteries
- Recyclables (cardboard, mixed paper, plastics, glass, etc.)
- Anything weighing more than 50lbs (other than appliances)
- Construction waste
- Drywall, kitchen cabinets, toilets, hot water tanks, wall to wall carpeting
- Anything that was once attached to the house is considered construction waste
Bring It to the Compound
Drop off unwanted items and yard waste at the Town of Banff Operations Transfer Site at 160 Hawk Avenue, open seven days a week except public holidays, 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. (last load accepted at 3:15 p.m.). Residential drop offs are free, but charges will apply to renovation/construction waste and commercial and out-of-town drop offs.
Bring it to the Re-Use It Centre
Pick up or drop off gently used household items at Banff's Re-Use It Centre, located at the Banff Transfer Site, 160 Hawk Avenue, seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Re-Use It Centre is closed on public holidays.
The Crossway Community Thrift Store in Canmore picks up gently used furniture and housewares. Call 403.678.9801 to schedule a pickup or email Crossway Community Thrift