Not all flowers are friendly
Banff is host to invasive noxious weeds that:
- Compete with our native plants
- Affect animal, insect, and bird species
- Alter natural habitats
- Are costly to control and increase herbicide use within in the town and national park
You are required by provincial law to control noxious weeds on your property. Learn to identify the plants and help stamp them out. A Town of Banff weed inspector would be happy to help you identify the plants.
Prevention is Best
- Inspect your entire property regularly and control noxious weeds early
- Select plants native to our area - they are hardy to our climate, are drought tolerant and are not invasive
- A healthy lawn can overpower most weeds
- Be cautious when planting non native seed mixes - noxious weed seeds have been identified in the mixes
- Download the Noxious Weed Awareness (PDF) to learn which plants are invasive in Banff
For more information, visit the Alberta Invasive Species Council.