Banff Recreation Grounds Redevelopment
The Banff Recreation Grounds Redevelopment Plan (PDF) was adopted by council on March 23, 2015. It is a guiding document that guides the redevelopment at the recreation grounds over 10 years (2015-2025).
Improvements will provide residents and visitors with a mix of new and improved amenities, while supporting increases in visitation to day use facilities. The plan also includes lifecycle maintenance projects.
Upcoming Projects in 2022:
- Civil work construction (water and sewer) to the Pavilion
- Build Pavilion (change room for recreation users and civic operations storage)
- Basketball court resurfacing
- Complete trail connections to new pedestrian bridge
- Creation of dedicated horse trail relocated to the south perimeter of the park
- Improvement and realignment of all recreation ground trails
- Protection shelter renovations (wall removal and lifecycle work)
Subsequent year projects include:
- Toboggan Hill
- Informal skating rink
- new bicycle pump track
- children's nature park
Each project year may also include smaller projects including signage upgrades, tree planting, natural fitness elements and picnic site improvements.
Sign up for updates on the project: visit Subscribe for Updates then enter your email and select email or text to register for a "Notify Me" update for Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal Updates.
Click image below to download full PDF of
Banff Recreation Grounds Renewal Plan
The 2021 recreation grounds renewal work represents a $3.2 million investment, including $500,000 from the Government of Alberta to redevelop a central trail, a north perimeter trail, a new horse trail relocated to the south perimeter, and maintenance/servicing trails. Previous provincial investment includes $40,000 towards the addition of a second community greenhouse in 2018 and $100,000 towards the creation of a skateboard park in 2017.
Expenditure in 2016-2020 amounted to $2.3 million. Total spending for 2021-2025 will be approximately $9.9 million. The full funding for this multi-year Recreation Grounds Renewal represents an investment of 12.2 million.
Completed projects as part of the renewal include:
- New off-leash Dog Park (fenced on repurposed area of one existing ball diamond - about same size as current Dog Park)
- New/enhanced irrigation system for Ball Diamonds and Sports Field
- Track rehabilitation and expansion of Sports Field
- Picnic table upgrades (2017)
- Creation of Skatepark (2017)
- South parking lot (2018)
- Ball diamond fencing (2018)
- Addition of second Community Greenhouse (2018)
- Trail to greenhouse (2018)
- North playground (2019)
- North parking lot repairs (2019)
- Norquay, Little Bow and Protection shelter repairs (2019)
- Rundle cabin move and restoration and user group storage boxes (2020)
- Design for the sports field, ball diamond irrigation, skatepark and sports field picnic areas and dog park (2020)