With little ghouls and goblins prowling Banff, and the other type of wildlife ever-present around the town, everyone needs to play their part to make sure Halloween is safe and fun this year.
Here are some tips from the Town of Banff to help animals and Trick-or-Treaters stay safe:
- Please keep pumpkins indoors. The ghoulish gourds are an attractant for bears, deer, coyotes and other wildlife, making them dangerous for you, pets, children and can be deadly for food-habituated wildlife.
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow stick inside of jack-o’-lanterns to avoid leaving a lit candle unattended.
- After Halloween, put pumpkins in your food scraps kitchen catcher, and put them in the local neighbourhood food bin or at the transfer station.
- Slow down when driving; it helps you react to the unexpected like superheroes crossing the street.
- Stay close to home in your neighbourhood for Trick-or-Treating; the fewer vehicles on the road, the safer.
- Equip yourself and Trick-or-Treaters with flashlights while out in the neighbourhood for improved visibility.
- Remember that all reflectors and lights help you stand out to drivers when biking or walking at night. No need to pop out and scare someone in the dark.
Make costumes safe
- Choose a costume that is flame resistant and the right length to prevent trips or falls.
- If wearing a mask, make sure the eyeholes are large enough to see if the ghost is clear.
- Don’t use artificial webbing that can catch birds, bats and antlers.
- Keep Halloween decorations at least one foot away from open flames and other heat sources.
- Decorate with materials that are flame resistant or flame retardant, if possible.
- Keep decorations away from exits, such as windows and doors, so escape routes are not blocked in the case of an emergency.
Use decorative lights safely
- Make sure outdoor lights, extension cords and outlets are identified as weatherproof and suitable for outdoor use.
- Hang any lights at least 3 metres from the ground to avoid entangling elk or deer.
- Unplug all decorations before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Never overload electrical outlets or run extension cords under carpets, across doorways, or near heat sources.
Be safe and happy haunting!