To encourage a shift to alternative modes of travel, and to encourage the development of smaller, more affordable apartments for Banff residents, Council adopted Policy C122, Residential Apartment Housing/Off-Street Parking and Alternative Transportation Standards, after considerable debate.
Council considered and approved three amendments to the policy – to add designated car share stalls to the criteria, to increase the parking reduction to 15 percent for permanent active transportation mode provisions, and to add wording that would allow the developing approval authority require a restrictive covenant on the title so that the property could not be converted to leasehold condos without constructing the minimum off-street parking required as per the land use bylaw at time of approval.
The policy is designed to allow the reduction of required off-street parking stalls on certain apartment developments and redevelopments that meet site specific circumstances, with the amount of the reduction based on certain criteria, such as unit size, walking distance to core services and employment, and proximity to transit.
Council adopted their top 2014 priorities and workplan:
• A Place To Call Home - providing comfortable and appropriate housing for all members of the community
• We are Community –taking pride in our community and leading by example
• A Walkable Community – continue to explore opportunities to expand parking capacity and reduce demand
• Toward Economic Prosperity – adopt the strategy and implementation of specific tactics
• Towards a Sustainable Transportation System - embrace more creative solutions and implement the strategies of the integrated Transportation Master Plan
The workplan can be found at the beginning of every council agenda.
Finally, Council directed staff to develop an incentive program that would encourage more residents and businesses to install solar panels. Staff will return to council at a later date with program specifics.
The solar incentive program will be one of the projects featured at Connect 2014, the Town’s open house on major projects Thursday, March 13, 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at The Fenlands. Everyone is welcome.